The "Apne Muh Miyan Mitthoo" club


There are various types of whatsapp groups. Some are for the family, some are work related,some are for just for friends.Could be school, college or University pals. 

But today I will introduce you to another type of whatsapp group. The "Apne Mooh Miyan Mitthoo variety. 
Some people here are from planet Earth but behave as if they have directly descended from the heavens!
There are 'founding members'. You know,like the Gang of Four made so famous by China. Now, these angels from heaven deign to add us lesser mortals to their hallowed group. They do need the numbers,na. After that they decide there is a 'Core' group and an 'extraneous' group. Kind of like insider -outsider thing. 
People who are in the outsider category are supposed to mind their Ps and Qs all the time. Or else, the higher powers are offended. 

The rules are defined in their heads since such discrimination cannot be openly done. Views to be expressed are effectively censored and people are routinely told off for saying anything other than the standpoint of the core group. The standpoint being praising each other, scratching each other's backs all the time. And yes, it is just a place where they feel like minor celebs.Its like they are running a fiefdom with them being self appointed masters

If you, like me, are an eternal optimist and still forge ahead with your views..then you have two choices- accept being kicked out or leave the group with your dignity intact.  A few of the people I knew did the latter and then I got to witness the former way out in full fury.

So I chose to leave the said club or group, whatever you might like to call it after stating my point regarding an issue where I thought it was best not to be neutral.It was an issue of national interest. But I expected some clamour and so there was more than a ripple in the waters.
Best of all, I came to know after seeing a screenshot which a well wisher shared with me. The person who I was buddies with, was openly naming and shaming me.I was adorned with expletives like drug addict, mentally unstable and plenty others. The problem was not with these badges. I knew they were coming my way. But they came from someone who I called a bestie.

I was told later by more people that the platform I chose was wrong. But hello, I was speaking amongst friends. I trusted them, I knew them or so I thought. I believed that here was a place where I could safely state my opinions. (Of course, making sure I do not tread on too many toes).You cannot handpick an audience! 
I was termed communal, political and destructive to the fabric of the club. In all other groups that I am a part of, people actually listen to what you have to say and welcome you with warmth.

I am sorry for being a bit bitter about things today. Its just that when a friend backstabs you like that, you do get shaken. And I felt like sharing it with you.

Comments

Popular Posts