Book review- 84 by Satya Vyas



 
Before I begin with this review, let me clarify I had no idea that a web series was also being launched at the same time. I chose not to watch the series first since I had already bought the book. 🌝

Another reason was that in my experience mostly the book and its screen adaptations are two very different things. A lot more twists are added to spice a movie whereas a book can afford the luxury of focus on a specific theme. 

OK, back to the book. The book as the name suggests is based on the 1984 anti- Sikh riots that engulfed the whole country. It's basically a love story set against the backdrop of these riots. The events unfold not in Punjab but in far-off Bokaro. I must mention here that I am not a great fan of love stories. My personal view is that a love story stalls the pace of the story. And first love is such a filmy concept. Nothing like that happens in real life ...or does it? 🧐

Anyway this love story between Manu and Rishi must have been different because it touched something somewhere in me. Their love is like the fragrance of an incense stick. It lingers and makes you feel blessed in a way. Manu is a Punjabi Sikh girl whose beauty sets the benchmark. Rishi is a guy from Bokaro who slowly falls for Manu. They do not cross any boundaries which free love of today assumes everyone will cross.It has a sweetness that you start to enjoy as the story moves ahead. By the end of the book I had myself fallen in love with the both of them.πŸ₯°

The riots have been described vividly and also how they were state sponsored to avenge the death of the late PM Mrs. Indira Gandhi. I shuddered inside reading about it, visualizing the murders of innocent Sikhs and thinking about what a toll it took on them. It also made me realize again that the madness that takes over people during such times is premeditated and cold-blooded.  Normal people have too much on their minds to think up of something as violent.

I also got to watch the webseries based on the book. The book and the webseries are not the same. The webseries is more like a spinoff of the book.Its added more thrilling elements and has not been truthful to the core of the book. The book on the other hand is a treat to read. The words are so beautiful that you fall in love with the writing style of the author.You will enjoy the love story of Manu and Rishi and will get an idea of how love can be so complete and fulfilling.

It's a must read for all who love good literature and also for the lover that resides deep in our hearts.





Comments

  1. From long time i wanted to treat myself with some good stuff to read about..thanks for your recomendation..will surely go for it...n contrary to u your liking im a huge fan of love stories..especially the kind u have mentioned that this book talks about...coz though in someone's imagination only, true love does exist....'this is what i believe inπŸ˜‹πŸ˜œ' so just cherish it ..feel it , enjoy it n live it while u r reading the book....n a good great stress buster from routine stress life..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most true. Love resides deep in our hearts. There are too many obstacles to finding and getting and then keeping your true love! I was not fortunate to find love when I was a young girl. Love and lust are easily exchangble terms these days. But I did find true love later in life.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts