Sudha Murthy's books - A 📖 Study

Let me be very frank with you. I had been looking for good Hindi literature to read for some time. I read several books by older authors and then tried new ones as well. My collection kept increasing but there was a growing discontent within me. I could relate partially to authors of the pre- Independence and thereabouts writers.
 Present day writers came across as mostly shallow. They speak about today's issues, yes, but in order to sell their books, they mostly use sex and plenty of risque stuff. So many cuss words? I agree sometimes people do abuse but this is like Ph. D in F- words! Their progressive heroines smoke, drink indulge in free sex. Talk nineteen to the dozen and are considered muh phat or truly bindaas. I guess these writers fancy some film industry biggie to pick up their work and turn it into a film. The book that let me down the most was Dilli Darbar by Satya Vyas. More about that in another blog.

In such a situation I came across a Hindi edition of Sudha Murthy's books. Mrigatrishna was its name. I had read about Sudha Murthy. I mean who does not know Infosys? I knew she wrote well but I had only read a few of her reminiscences earlier. But they were real and impressive too.
When I read this book I was amazed at the depth of human understanding this lady had. She writes with a genuine empathy for her characters. She writes about real India. Not the make-believe of metro life showcased in movies or in some cases the current crop of books. Even when she writes about big town life she states things as they are. She doesn't resort to tragedy to entice an audience. In short she is not a gimmicky person, at all. Of course she talks about love and romance but it's again real. Not all of us are ready to jump into the hay at a moment's notice! Love is more sedate yet passionate. It's the love of a husband and wife. With commitment and devotion above all else.

I am reading all of her books and I must say I am loving the language and the genuine human touch in all of them. It's like being in a room full of the fragrance of incense sticks. Words cannot express it better. 


Comments

Popular Posts